I added some more notifications to the iconbar. Notifications now include -
- missed calls
- new message
- new voicemail
- bluetooth status (on/off)
- wifi status (off/on/networks available/connecting/connected)
- signal strength (with EDGE and GPRS detection and "in use" indicator)
- radio off (no signal bars)
- battery meter fixed (read details below)
- battery fault or no battery
- ringer off
- vibrate on (precedence over ringer off)
- bluetooth handsfree
- headset present (more precedence over bluetooth hansfree)
- calls forwarded
- SIM status (not present/invalid/blocked)
The battery meter has been fixed from the previous release. I did not offset the value by 19% but used a different API to get the remaining battery strength. The battery meter now has a "15 pixel high" level indicator. The number of bars filling up the battery = Battery Life Percent/6.66. Besides that the usual color code is maintained: Green(>75%), Yellow(>50%), Orange (>25%) and Red (<25%). style="font-weight: bold;">Priority ordering:
Due to the limited spacing, I had to impose some priority ordering on the icons. A headset present notification overrides a bluetooth handsfree present notification. Remeber, a bluetooth handsfree icon will not appear if you have bluetooth turned off!! A vibrate on notification overrides a ringer off notification.
If you turn off the phone radio, no signal bars will appear. The signal bars now show a dim "E" and a "G" at the top, if the EDGE and GPRS networks are available in your area. The letter glows if you are actually using one. SIM notifications appear in this region.
Okay then, how to get the new dll and replace the existing one. If you have not installed the plugin yet, then follow the instructions here. The dll file over there is the new one...so, no need for update!! If you just want to install the new dll, then follow these instructions.
1. Change over to a different theme, one not running the plugin. Reboot.
2. Download the new dll from here and with ActiveSync copy it over to \Windows.
3. Change over to your original theme. If asked for confirmation, say "Yes".
I think I am done with most of the notifications. What remains are the "in call" ones, but that will be handy after I am able to overwrite window titlebar icons. This might take some time (school starts in 5 days), but hang on!!
Idea: I was thinking over the idea of turning this whole "iconbar" concept to a "dockstation". The idea is to have a tab on your home screen that lets you choose what "dock" (perhaps like a notification dock or an instant message dock) you want currently visible on the iconbar space. Just an idea...feedback on design will be appreciated!
UPDATE: Please see Iconbar plugin update 2.